South Korean company Ceragem has spoken out after one of its products seriously injured Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria.
Kuria was admitted to Karen Hospital two weeks ago with a third degree burns after her legs exploded after she used an electric mat purchased from the company in Nairobi.
The MP said he bought a device called Ceratonic Mat through a friend for Sh250,000 to cure numbness in his legs.
Kuria has since undergone three surgeries and is currently recovering in hospital.
“This device made my legs burn slowly. I was trying to solve the problem by setting up a solution that kills. I came home at night and my legs just exploded,” Kuria said.
“Something that was supposed to be a solution saw me undergoing surgery three times.”
In a statement, Ceragem regretted the incident and apologized to MP Kuria, saying the accident may have been due to the medical condition of the politician they had not known since the carpet was bought by a friend.
“We are saddened by what happened. It is not our intention that our products harm consumers. The device was purchased by a friend of the Honorable Member, and we did not know at the time if he had any previous condition, “the company said in a statement.
Ceragem researcher Martin Mulwa claimed that all the company’s products are safe and approved by the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS).
The mat is a solid material with a built-in wiring system that provides heat and heat through the coil wires. It is closed in the store and can set different temperature levels.
Ceragem is a global healthcare company that offers a wide range of heat treatment products such as electric blankets.