Fake magistrate to be held for two more weeks.
A man accused of impersonating a judge will remain in police custody for two weeks while police investigate his alleged crime.
Nakuru senior resident magistrate Rose Ombata, in her ruling on Tuesday afternoon, authorized police to detain Victor Kiprono Ngeno for 14 days.
“I feel that the 14 days requested by the police to detain the suspect is appropriate for them to complete their investigation and therefore I approve the request,” Ms Ombato said.
Police Inspector Elias Baya said investigators needed to know Mr Ngeno’s identity card.
Mr Baya, the investigating officer in charge of the case, said police should also conduct a forensic investigation into two cellphones seized from the suspect and verify the origin of the Forensic Services Commission employment forms obtained.
The court heard that police were investigating allegations of money laundering under the guise of fraud.
Mr Baya also told the court that at least eight other complaints had been filed against Mr Ngeno immediately after his arrest and that they should be investigated.
“We want to establish the true identity of the suspect by sending fingerprints to the National Registration Office after claiming that he has never been registered,” Baya said.
The allegations were backed by attorney Kipkoech Ngetich on behalf of the Kenyan Bar Association and the plaintiff identified as Samuel Soi, who said the case was of great public interest.
Mr Ngetich told the court the suspect was an imitator and businessman across Kenya, as well as one working in Sotik, Kericho County.
“This is a man who pretends to be a court official, which is a direct attack on the administration of justice. Proper police investigation will help fight fraud in the legal profession, “Ngetich said.
Mr Ngeno was arrested on October 9 by detectives from the Nakuru Criminal Investigation Department who had been following him for a year.
Police alleged that the suspect had lied to people who did not care about pretending to be a judge sitting in Nakuru and claimed to be the brother of Devolution Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter.
Mr Soi, one of the complainants, alleged that the suspect had defrauded him of 1.6 million shillings while claiming to be able to help speed up a lawsuit in Nakuru court and help his two children get a job.
The trial is set to begin on October 26