Part of the Sunbeam shopping mall in Nairobi’s central business district (CBD) was set on fire on Tuesday morning, February 1.
Videos seen by Sambazanews showed smoke billowing from the fifth floor of a building along Mfangano Street and near Thanksgiving Mall.
Reports said the Nairobi County Fire Department responded quickly and tried to put out the blaze.
The source of the fire was not immediately known, with news circles saying there was a restaurant on the fourth floor of the building.
Although no one was injured in the incident, it is said to have caused a traffic jam in the busy Mfangano Street while spectators gathered at the scene.
On January 29, officials from the National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) and the Nairobi County Fire Department urged homeowners to conduct regular safety exercises to test their readiness for unforeseen incidents such as a fire.
They noted that it was important to conduct at least one safety exercise per year to assess fire readiness.